PDA

View Full Version : DIC Animated Series

kelty11@verizon.net
02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Please share your thoughts on the 1989-91 DIC Animated Series.

Best of, Worst of, favorite episodes, etc.

iamcanadian@sasktel.net
03-04-2014, 08:41 AM
This series was terrible. After watching the sunbow series I decided to purchase the DIC series. I figured the animation and stories would be better or at least a little less campy then the orginal, but no. Everything was dumbed down. The music was annoying, the voice acting was lackluster, the animation was second rate and the stories made the original series look like Macbeth. I want to say something possitive, but I just can't think of anything. I mean, the characters weren't even likeable.

kelty11@verizon.net
03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
I agree completely. I had not seen this series in 15-17 years when I bought the DVD last. Mind you, I thought this show was great as a kid, but upon watching it again I frankly don't know what I liked about it. But it was made with 5-8 year olds in mind.

manolive@hotmail.com
03-04-2014, 03:20 PM
It's the Scooby Doo feeling that bugs me about it. The slap-stick and goofy sound effects. But CC nailed with the audio side. Music and voice acting was totally without feeling. About the only thing I can say nice about it is being able to see some of my favorite Cobra figures in action, dumb as it was. Night Viper, Alley Viper, Laser Viper etc. The real hard part was seeing Storm Shadow looking cool, but he and Snake Eyes became Laurel and Hardy and he lost his noble character and just wouldn't shut up.

kelty11@verizon.net
03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow acted drunk or high most of the time, i.e. Kindergarten Commandos, The Sword, and Shadow of a Doubt. Scarlett was also reduced to being a clueless valley girl and Gen. Hawk must have had suffered a TBI somewhere along the way.

himitsu@nmsu.edu
03-12-2014, 07:31 AM
"Got to get tough...got to get tough!"

Oh my,yet another reason why i dislike the 90's.

rew97@live.com
05-25-2014, 08:29 PM
About the only thing I can say nice about it is being able to see some of my favorite Cobra figures in action, dumb as it was. Night Viper, Alley Viper, Laser Viper etc. The real hard part was seeing Storm Shadow looking cool, but he and Snake Eyes became Laurel and Hardy and he lost his noble character and just wouldn't shut up.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with that, if you were born in the mid 80's then the characters and vehicles on the show were the ones you were playing with in your living room. The only reason I could ever justify buying that show to myself would be to see Range Vipers, Desert Scorpions, the Parasite, etc. But then I would remember how they gave Grunt (a guy from Columbus, Ohio) a very annoyingly done New York accent, and just forget it. Maybe Dic's A-team was working on Captain Planet during that time.

science_mrk@yahoo.com
02-20-2015, 07:04 AM
I agree with just about everyone here. I watched the original ARAH cartoon series. My younger brother grew up watching the DIC series. Although neither series is really anything to brag about in my opinion they do provide us with fond memories of being a kid playing with GIJoe. With that said, I am an 80's and early 90's cartoon lover. I own and watch numerous cartoon series from the late 80's and early 90's. As a Joe collector I bought both seasons of DIC and sat down with sincere interest at first. it got to a point where I would hit "next" on the remote for the opening credits and force myself to watch episodes just to experience the complete Joe cartoon universe. If you watch it with a 90's attitude and with the wide-eyed wonder of a 9 year old it's not that bad. Operation Dragonfire is o.k. along with a couple other random episodes here and there. I will probably only watch the series once more in the next couple years. In that time I will then be in my forties and it will still help me remember a better time where GI Joe was still a constant in my life. But, if you want really campy animation and stories re-watch the Voltron series. That one was really tough.

bluebeast101@yahoo.com
07-25-2015, 11:26 PM
This show was good for laughs,chunnel and el dorado, upsetting i found you evy,and the sludge factor that showed how easy it could
twisted.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
07-26-2015, 07:57 AM
The one and only thing I like about the DIC series was Operation: Dragonfire. Not so much the quality, no, But I loved the return of Cobra Commander, and seeing serpentor reduced to an iguana.....High points were seeing the Mudfighter, Slaughter's Marauders, Python Patrol, Those were the only qualities that I liked about DIC, there was just so much potential lost when SUNBOW didn't make it's planned season 3, I read a long synopsis by Buzz Dixon on plans that sunbow had, it's sad that it never happened, DIC animation was great for MASK, just not for G.I.JOE. The D.E.F. (Headman episode where JOE and Cobra joined forces, that was one that I will say I had my children watch, it had a good message about the dangers of drugs, and that is an episode that even with the bad voice acting, I will watch).

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
07-26-2015, 09:33 AM
I love it but mostly for nostalgic reasons as it's the one I grew up with, and I loved the toys that came out of it

jmsberetta@aol.com
07-26-2015, 01:56 PM
The dic series was great for showing the use of the characters from 1990's could be used. My favorite episodes are in operation dragon fire. I very fond of the episode with the general vehicle showed how powerful the vehicle could be. I don't like the episodes that didn't give the sub teams of the time a lot of story.

boostergold5@gmail.com
07-26-2015, 02:22 PM
DIC was known in the 80s as the Do It Cheap animation company. Because of them, a lot of Americans who had terrific creative artistic jobs lost their careers.

kelty11@verizon.net
07-30-2015, 08:43 AM
The one and only thing I like about the DIC series was Operation: Dragonfire. Not so much the quality, no, But I loved the return of Cobra Commander, and seeing serpentor reduced to an iguana.....High points were seeing the Mudfighter, Slaughter's Marauders, Python Patrol.

Yes, Operation Dragonfire was the best of the DIC cartoons.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Here are what I consider the absolute worst DIC episodes
1. Revenge of the Pharoahs
2. Pigskin Commandos (a Joe/Cobra Football game!?! Really??)
3. I Found you...Evy (a good character moment of Ambush, and we learn that cobra dresses female Rock Vipers in Pink)
4. Stuck on You (Very funny, but again, Really?)
5. Kindergarten Commandos (no Comment)
6. El Dorado Lost City of Gold (I know ghosts were featured in the Phantom Brigade, but that episode was so much better as well as creepy. El Dorado was just over the top stupid, i.e. ghosts possessing BATs and Overkill wearing the Conquistador Helmet)
7. Infested Island (again, no comment)
8. A is For Android (Hawk returns from a mission in what appears to be a state of psychiatric distress (he is really a android infiltrator). However, the Joes seemingly have no problem following psychotic orders from him. You have to wonder where Doc, Lifeline and Stretcher were?)

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
08-02-2015, 08:05 PM
I agree, the show was pretty bad, but as a kid that was about 9-12 or so when it was aired, I enjoyed it then (even though I thought it was pretty stupid and not as good as the original), mainly because of all the Joe stuff they showed. I had some of them, but wanted the rest, like the Avalanche and General and Hammer, and the Mobile Battle bunker of course, but I still liked the show, and when I watched the episodes when I got the 2 dvd sets, I was brought down memory lane, and it made me want to play with the 90's Joes again (which was the whole point of the show when it was being made).

kelty11@verizon.net
08-03-2015, 10:15 AM
As much as I am wont to criticize the DIC cartoon these were the Joe toys that I grew up with. I saw 80's episodes on t.v. but never had any of those figures (my collection begins with 1988). I will always have fond memories of these figures and vehicles regardless of how ridiculous I and many other think the show was.

gothiczartan84@gmail.com
08-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Since We've already seen FSS 5 Ambush. What we want is a new action figure of a female Range-Viper based on the DIC cartoon appearance and the only episode "I Found You...Evy".

Evy aka Range-Viper3

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1148772_1699133787037301_8822401614932595402_n.jpg ?oh=647297aeed6a0b9b09b9bdfa42a5e04f&oe=58502E0E

http://orig11.deviantart.net/35bf/f/2015/217/3/0/range_viper3_by_gothiczartan-d4ckza4.jpg

bdwhite79@gmail.com
08-27-2016, 01:30 AM
Dragon fire was really cool to me! I am really not sure why they would only use a lot of those characters exclusively for the five part episode and then not make anymore reference to them....Animation was PITIFUL after dragon fire as well! On a positive note, I think they had some potential with some of the sub groups, such as Eco-warriors, slaughter's marauders, Python patrol, Sky patrol, etc. if they could have found the right animation company and not been so goofy with some of it.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Animation was PITIFUL after dragon fire as well! On a positive note, I think they had some potential with some of the sub groups, such as Eco-warriors, slaughter's marauders, Python patrol, Sky patrol, etc. if they could have found the right animation company and not been so goofy with some of it.

Wasn't Dragon fire actually Sunbow- before they went to DIC?

wuala87@gmail.com
05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Hey guys, I always asked because there is so much hate towards the DIC version, I honestly do not understand, sunbow also had errors in the animation, I know, maybe the sound effects to some people was quite tedious. However, the DIC version had wonderful things, step to list:

* The great variety of characters was something great, until today many of the most quoted characters, come from there.

* Vehicles and aircraft also had a great variety and technological-military approach.

* The battles, much better animated from the movement of missiles to the visual perspective.

* The sub-teams, ninja commands, sky patrol will always be remembered.

* Operation Dragonfire
* Victory at Volcania, Part 1
Victory at Volcania, Part 2

... and some more that I do not remember their names. All this is an appreciation of mine and I respect all empirical and objective opinions. Yo Joe!

jermany888@yahoo.com
05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Ok. I started collecting Joe in '82. I was born in '73 so I also had some Adventure Team and Super Joe. I know the DIC series was a little lack luster and I was in my late teens when it came out. So that being said, I did like Operation Dragon Fire for the most part. And the first season was much better than the second. I know the show lacked depth and was hokey, but I'm just a huge Joe fan and I got to see some of my favorite '90's Joes in action. I find it quite amusing. Not like the Sunbow episodes weren't a little hokey too. But I still love 'em. I grew up on the Sunbow series. I just find the DIC series to be fun and silly. I guess I'll never grow up.

wuala87@gmail.com
05-23-2018, 11:50 AM
I grew up on the Sunbow series. I just find the DIC series to be fun and silly.

Yes, that's the key, the time in which one grew up, I was born in 87 so I saw the series Sunbow (which at that time was broadcast in my country) and the whole beginning of the DIC & Gi Joe EXTREME, I agree I was a bit silly, but it was a symptom of all the series of the 90s, no doubt for those who love the Joes, it was great to see our favorite characters in action, as you say.

jfunk@sympatico.ca
05-27-2018, 09:38 AM
I wish the Sgt Savage stand alone episode had been included in the DIC dvd release. Nice seeing Doc and Lady Jaye one last time.

kelty11@verizon.net
05-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Yes, that's the key, the time in which one grew up, I was born in 87 so I saw the series Sunbow (which at that time was broadcast in my country) and the whole beginning of the DIC & Gi Joe EXTREME, I agree I was a bit silly, but it was a symptom of all the series of the 90s, no doubt for those who love the Joes, it was great to see our favorite characters in action, as you say.

I agree completely that timing matters. The first Joe series I saw was Dragonfire in '89 (it's sad how long ago that was) and I really enjoyed it. I then started watching joe in earnest in 1990 (7:30 am on WPIX in NYC). What I saw was a mixture of new episodes paired with ones form the 80's. You have to remember that I was in second grade so I wasn't analyzing the animation or voice acting. Sure, I though episodes of both were kind weird. What I enjoyed immensely was seeing my toys on TV and vice versa. I really liked what I came to understand were the older episodes, but at the time there was virtually no means of obtaining toys from 1983 and '84, except the odd find at random card stores and mom and pop toys stores. My suggestion for all of us adult (??) collectors is to just sit back and enjoy the cartoons from our childhood - even if they are terrible the nostalgia element is fantastic.

Confession - I actually enjoyed EXTREME - crazy, right?

shadow.z6@hotmail.com
05-29-2018, 01:44 AM
watched gi joe the 2 first mini series Mass device and revenge of cobra with some episode of Season 1 then jumped quickly to Season 2 following the animation of Dic era which its was big part of childhood and continued the event of GI Joe the movie in operation dragon fire restoring Cobra Commander to power afterward well it had some moments lame and enjoyable from time to time but more importantly well introduced some of my favorite joes like: Cpt.Grid-Iron, Pathfinder, Bull-Horn, Rampart and Skydive.

williamson508@gmail.com
05-30-2018, 07:24 PM

Sunbow had it's flaws but was 1000x better the DIC. Even as a kid it came off as cheesy and campy. I would definitely disagree with it being a symptom of the 90s. The 90s had just as many great shows as the 80s. Xmen, Batman the animated ,Spiderman, Gargoyles just to name a few that were all far better than Joe and none off them were nearly as corny or as poorly done. In my opinion had Hasbro not cheaped out and allowed DIC to take over I think Joe could have lasted a few more seasons. I will say I love the theme song an opening of the series but that's about it. Again like most I am glad we got to see characters like Alley Viper Night Vipers Salvo Pathfinder and a bunch of others on screen but they all would have been better under Sunbow.

wuala87@gmail.com
05-31-2018, 11:35 AM
In the intro of the DIC series it is mentioned in the firt verse:

"You know you got to stand tall when it comes down to the wire"

I do not know what you mean by "wire", I honestly do not understand the whole verse, could someone explain me?