PDA

View Full Version : 2014 GIJoeCon 12-Inch Exclusive Box Set Previews!

Commander_Lane
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
He is a legend. His adventures have spanned decades and he has touched the lives of millions. Serving his nation in time of conflict in uniform and out, he became the basis of a force for good standing in the breach in the fight against evil. His birth name is Joseph Colton, but he is... CODENAME: G.I. JOE!

Check out the 2014 GIJoeCon website for previews of the box set contents...Click Here (http://www.gijoecon.com/tx2014/JOE14set.cfm)!

jgonzaleznj@yahoo.com
01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Great tease Commander Lane! I wanted to add info from the registration brochure - can't wait to see more!
"He is a legend. His adventures have spanned decades and he has touched the lives of millions. Serving his nation in time of conflict in uniform and out, he became the basis of a force for good standing in the breach in the fight against evil. His birth name is Joseph Colton, but his Codename: G.I. Joe."

Commander_Lane
01-27-2014, 06:14 PM
CODENAME: G.I. JOE is a two figure set with a Timeless Edition Vintage G.I. Joe figure in Tiger Stripe Camouflage Jacket and Pants. See a preview of this uniform now at GIJoeCon!

Commander_Lane
01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
When you celebrate your 50th Anniversary, all that glitters is... GOLD! Our 12-inch convention box set features Joseph Colton in... CODENAME: G.I. JOE. This commemorative set includes two Gold Tone Dog Tags in both the classic military and Adventure Team designs for the figures to wear with pride.

Check the GIJoeCon website to see more 12-inch Box Set accessory previews!

funpubincadmin
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Here are some additional details about this set:

"For the 2014 12" figure set, we wanted to create a true anniversary set which features highlights from the 50 year history of the G.I. Joe brand. And so, concept of the 12" set is to show a parallel progression of the G.I. Joe brand through time and the G.I. Joe character through his career.

To do this, we included a ‘hard hands’ and ‘painted hair’ military 12" figure, a ‘kung fu grip’ flocked Adventure Team 12" figure, and then, in the 3 3/4" scale, we selected the same G.I. Joe / Joseph Colton character as depicted by the two 12" figures, but selected from his first appearance in the RAH mythos. In addition, we wanted to present these figures in a "classic" style, but at the same time give them never before seen designs that COULD have been created during the original runs of the different G.I. Joe lines.

There was a 12" Green Beret figure made in the 60s, but never in tiger stripe camo. The AT figure's updated ‘retro’ look hearkens a bit to the 1969 line as well and is taken from the current Club Adventure Team comic story. The 3 3/4" Colton figure features the AT head style used for the Club 3 3/4" Adventure Team figures and an AT style shoulder holster, while being dressed for his post AT role in the original Comic book series.

The set is also the first time a 12" G.I. Joe figure and a 3 3/4" G.I. Joe figure have been presented together in one set. It is a back to basics set, but one which we feel reflects the many eras of G.I. Joe in a familiar yet fresh way, that speaks to a broad range of fans across generations."

Gaudiuso@yahoo.com
02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
I just saw the Codename : G.I.Joe figure set today. I like the Green Beret variant of the classic uniform and the Adventurer in the black tee shirt. The 3 3/4 figure is interesting but I am a collector of the 12" figures. All in all, it is a nice set.

However, the set looks quite sparse for $335, especially when compared to previous convention sets like Escape From Spy Island, for example.

I hope there is more to this set than what is being shown at the moment because, while it is a good set, it is not worth the asking price.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
02-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Wow, I'm at a loss for words. However...

Bad Clams is right, although I've thought that the asking price was horrendous on all convention sets.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
02-21-2014, 07:45 AM
It is a nice looking set - kind of retro, which is good for an anniversary set. But it is sparse when compared to the Fight for Survival or Escape from Spy Island convention sets.

If the price point was lower than recent sets I'm sure it would sell quite well.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
I know it's an exclusive set for the GI Joe Convention of 50 years,

but it can't be anymore than 20 dollars to make a figure. Now you've got 40 dollars. Accessories, in this set, probably another 20 dollars. Now the total is 60 dollars. Add another 15 dollars for the "exclusive" properties of the set, and it's 75 dollars. Ta Da.

Unless it's a supply/demand thing. Where a low demand means a low supply, which means a high cost of production, which, in turn, bites us in the wallet.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Sure supply and demand figure into it. And it's designed to be a Limited Edition run, which can drive up cost.

But from what I've seen, it appears to be equivalent of two window-box sets that each includes a figure. Those seem to go for $40-$60 each. Say $120, plus mini-fig and packaging, plus exclusivity. getting in range of $180. At that price I'd say it could sell a fair amount of units. But I'm no production designer, so, maybe I'm way off.

justin@generalsjoes.com
02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Here are some additional details about this set:

"For the 2014 12" figure set, we wanted to create a true anniversary set which features highlights from the 50 year history of the G.I. Joe brand. And so, concept of the 12" set is to show a parallel progression of the G.I. Joe brand through time and the G.I. Joe character through his career.

To do this, we included a ‘hard hands’ and ‘painted hair’ military 12" figure, a ‘kung fu grip’ flocked Adventure Team 12" figure, and then, in the 3 3/4" scale, we selected the same G.I. Joe / Joseph Colton character as depicted by the two 12" figures, but selected from his first appearance in the RAH mythos. In addition, we wanted to present these figures in a "classic" style, but at the same time give them never before seen designs that COULD have been created during the original runs of the different G.I. Joe lines.

There was a 12" Green Beret figure made in the 60s, but never in tiger stripe camo. The AT figure's updated ‘retro’ look hearkens a bit to the 1969 line as well and is taken from the current Club Adventure Team comic story. The 3 3/4" Colton figure features the AT head style used for the Club 3 3/4" Adventure Team figures and an AT style shoulder holster, while being dressed for his post AT role in the original Comic book series.

The set is also the first time a 12" G.I. Joe figure and a 3 3/4" G.I. Joe figure have been presented together in one set. It is a back to basics set, but one which we feel reflects the many eras of G.I. Joe in a familiar yet fresh way, that speaks to a broad range of fans across generations."

I was really curious as to the thought process around this set, and this all explains it very well, thanks! It makes sense to see Colton evolve through all of his different incarnations throughout the years. A great way to assemble the boxed set.

mark.brockman@outlook.com
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
I just saw the Codename : G.I.Joe figure set today. I like the Green Beret variant of the classic uniform and the Adventurer in the black tee shirt. The 3 3/4 figure is interesting but I am a collector of the 12" figures. All in all, it is a nice set.

However, the set looks quite sparse for $335, especially when compared to previous convention sets like Escape From Spy Island, for example.

I hope there is more to this set than what is being shown at the moment because, while it is a good set, it is not worth the asking price.

After seeing pictures of the entire set I am even more on the fence about purchasing it. $335.00 is a lot of money for two basic figures with basically no accessories (OK, two rifles and a duffle bag). I've seen a person over at the Trenches piece this set together from his spare parts bin with little effort...and outside of the duffle bag it looks just like this set. This is at best a $100.00 set even with the exclusivity. I can't see this set selling out but I can see it in the bargain bin at the store in about a year (and even then it will probably be a hard sell at anything over $100). Not sure what the thinking was behind the pricing for such a sparse set.

Later,
--Mark

odb360@live.com
02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm loving the 12 inch set...I have not been a big collector of 12s to date as I have just sort of cherry picked odds and ends til now but this set is nice enough that it maybe a good place to jump on a whole set...

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Might be a bit more reasonable if they included Bazooka+shells, radio, and a few AT items.

Gaudiuso@yahoo.com
03-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Will there be another 12" figure to buy at the show? An "add-on" figure, as in past years?

funpubincadmin
03-05-2014, 07:02 PM
The Convention Souvenirs are announced at the start of the show.

Gaudiuso@yahoo.com
03-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I am not asking what the 12" souvenir figure is going to be, I merely want to know if there is going to be one.

Please answer my question.

MrTrent100@aol.com
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
I am not asking what the 12" souvenir figure is going to be, I merely want to know if there is going to be one.

Please answer my question.

Please add me in to this request for an answer , since it may well determine my attendance.

At the Con will there ,or won't there ,be a 12in Con exclusive ? Like the Space Diver or Lab Guard from previous years ?

Or will this be the first year without a 12in Con exclusive?

A simple yes or no will clear the air.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
03-06-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm not going, but its always fun to look at what is going to be available.
We're not asking for specifics, just a Will or Won't.