PDA

View Full Version : Convention Timing issues!!!

mlandvick@gmail.com
01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
This is a plea to the powers that be:

Our family has been to loads of conventions and for the first time last year my brother and his three boys were able to go too!! Between my siblings and I we have 1 girl, 6 boys, and another boy on the way! They run from 14 to newborn and they are or will be joe heads!!! The biggest issue is the timing of the conventions lately!! Since they've moved to the general school year it's making our attendance really difficult. We had to miss the one in Rhode Island and now we have to miss the 50th anniversary too!! If you want this organization to continue you've GOT to consider the families!!! Taking kids out if school is just too difficult!! Please consider the future of GI Joe and give us a chance to encourage those future joe heads!!! Move the convention back to the summer!!!!

Here's our snow day sleep over of my two boys, my brothers two, and my sister's daughter! All playing joes!!!

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Move the convention back to the summer!!!!

Who the heck wants to go to Texas in the Summer, thats not a resident?

fostereben@gmail.com
01-07-2014, 12:01 PM
i agree 100% with you. If you count this Joe con this will be the 3rd Joe con in the Spring and only the New Orleans one was in the Summer. For some reason instead of switching back and fourth like the club said they would do Bot Con is getting the Summer time and Joe Con the Spring or at least the last 4 years it has been that way.

fostereben@gmail.com
01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Hey New Orleans was in summer and it was hot/humid and it was still a blast and the kids could go and regardless of the temperature the kids loved it and that is all that matters.

mlandvick@gmail.com
01-07-2014, 10:14 PM
i agree 100% with you. If you count this Joe con this will be the 3rd Joe con in the Spring and only the New Orleans one was in the Summer. For some reason instead of switching back and fourth like the club said they would do Bot Con is getting the Summer time and Joe Con the Spring or at least the last 4 years it has been that way.

Your right!! The club Brass did say that it would be switching back and fourth!!! What gives?? This needs to be strongly looked at! We need to be treated back to the summer again!

And we were at that summer con in New Orleans it was awesome!! My kids and wife had a great time!!!

mlandvick@gmail.com
01-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Who the heck wants to go to Texas in the Summer, thats not a resident?

I have a 14 year old and 12 year old who would do it in a heart beat!!

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I have a 14 year old and 12 year old who would do it in a heart beat!!

Hmm.
Seems hot to me, but I like the cold. And here it's limboed between "feels like" -22 and -16. Tomorrow is my third snow day in a row. I'm in pig heaven.

Never the less, unless the AC is cranking, something of this nature seems cool but unappealing all wraped into one.

justin@generalsjoes.com
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, I can see the Club's side of this. With Transformers 4 coming out this summer, they want to have Botcon correspond with that to showcase the film and to capitalize attendance based on how big Transformers will be at that time.

Last year the convention was in the spring to celebrate the G.I. Joe: Retaliation film the same way. It is good business sense. Unfortunately the Club has to "go with the flow" when it comes to Hollywood productions, and in balancing both shows they have to be sure they have enough time separating the two of them to pay full attention to each.

This one is out of their hands.

wishful_sinful@hotmail.com
01-18-2014, 12:07 AM
New Orleans was more than hot - it was suffocating - and the hotel that charged as much for my car for 4 days as 1 night in the hotel.

meanmugginloco@yahoo.com
01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
I was hoping to go this year but cannot take off of work. It's just one of those things..

However I'm thrilled that I can at least order the set, maybe 2, and have them shipped to the house. It would be rad if the Club also offered the 2/3 packs and possibly anything else that's part of the set's theme as I'm not looking forward to eBay prices if a pack of Sludge Vipers or Zombified Joes is offered.

Eco Warriors, as silly as some may think it is, was one of my favorite overall subteams/sets. Second only to Python Patrol.

mlandvick@gmail.com
01-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Guys here's the bottom line for our hobby to continue...my kids eat and sleep zombies right now. They connected with the guys from Hasbro and have at multiple conventions. Two conventions ago when they showed the zombie vault, my oldest made good friends with the Hasbro Joe team. To help him make his zombie stop-animation film, they personally sent him the hard to find zombie vipers. From their collections. For the last several conventions we made requests that the club do a zombie set. Now they do one for the 50th and we cannot afford time off school to go. These toys started with kids, they've now grown up and became collectors, some raising their kids to love joe too...all I want is for my boys and my brother's boys to have a chance to go consistently to conventions!

Pics from our first convention!!!