PDA

View Full Version : IDW: Salvo reimaged?

rjhiii@sover.net
01-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Doesn't bother me as he was never one of my favorites, but for some...

http://cbr1.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/GIJoe-05-coverSUB.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=864&h=1311&fit=crop

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
01-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Just ... why?

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-26-2017, 11:01 PM
### #### #### ####

kaljzl0824@yahoo.com
01-26-2017, 11:54 PM
This is why I just read Hama and not this trash. Besides, it will probably only run for 12 issues and be done.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
01-27-2017, 07:55 AM
If this goes more issues than the Karen Traviss run, I'll stop reading comics forever. Does no one get or study the source material anymore? This is beyond heartbreaking, it's disrespectful to the fandom. I can't believe there wasn't someone with a better pitch when IDW went looking to reboot their joe universe.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-27-2017, 09:20 AM
IDW had some good stories in the beginning but now, aside from the Hama stuff, the level of writing is somewhere near bad fanfic. Sadly typical of comics today.

rjhiii@sover.net
01-27-2017, 09:32 AM
I actually don't mind the reimaging of Salvo, as I said not one of my favorite characters/figures to begin with. What I do mind is the change to Storm Shadow if it is still suppose to be Snake Eyes friend/rival "Tommy", and what I really hate is the "hipster", "Skinny Jeans" wearing Rock N Roll. Seriously? No soldier as tough as Rock N Roll is ever going to dress like a safe space, thumb sucking, millennial hipster.

kelty11@verizon.net
01-27-2017, 10:27 AM
I don't mind a re-imagining of characters either, but after 2 issues I think this version of Joe is one of the worst. I most definitely will be dropping this book. I am sticking with ARAH and the complete collections (most of which seem to have fallen out of print with no re-offers from IDW). We need 2-3 of these per year, not 1 (vol 9 is out Feb).

Insidious portents of the hasbropocalypse ;)

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Dropped the book awhile back.

iamcanadian@sasktel.net
01-27-2017, 05:22 PM
That is hilarious!! Man, what a kick in the nads for Salvo fans.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
01-27-2017, 05:42 PM
So glad we are getting a good Salvo from the club this year (hurry up FSS shipments ��). If Hasbro ever did Salvo in the next movie line it would probably look like this.

jimsnow70@aol.com
01-28-2017, 11:43 AM
No. Just... no.

kelty11@verizon.net
01-28-2017, 02:25 PM
I want GI Joe, not hipster SJW Joe. Again I'm fine with switching characters identities, but it has to make sense.

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
01-28-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm bothered.

jamieandvicki@gmail.com
01-29-2017, 11:59 AM
You get nothing from this. Nothing. All the writer gets is a feeling of empowerment of pc. So tired of this!! If you have to change a character that has been around for over 2 decades to make them hip/cool/exciting/ fill in the blank, then I got news for you, you suck as a writer and mom and dad lied to you!!
Creating some with what you have a bald guy with a huge rocket launcher. Now take that and add something of interest.
Thank you.

steve.2477@hotmail.com
01-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Haha, seriously. This is why I only buy Hama's GI Joe continuity.

krob73@yahoo.com
02-06-2017, 07:50 AM
I don't mind the Salvo change, but I was dipping out of Joe at that time. I didn't make sense that he was so much like Backblast a year before him.

I am not liking the new character designs, nor the changes in the characters personalities. Rock-Roll and Scarlet are the only 2 from the original 13 on the team, yet they act as though they hate each other. R-n-R is downright disrespectful, certainly not something we've seen or would expect from an elite military team.

IDW started to lose its way with the Van Lente run, and completely imploded with the Traviss run. I was hoping that this one would be much improved, but not so far. . . and I was further disappointed that Revolutionaries completed disregarded the IDW Oktober Guard. They're there in name only.

kelty11@verizon.net
02-06-2017, 10:42 AM
I wish IDW would stop trying to reinvent GI Joe every two years and coming up with junk. The best was 2008-10 (especially the Cobra series). I'm sticking with Larry Hama's interpretation. They also need to do more than one ARAH Complete collection per year. Also, most of their collections of classic Joe are falling out of print (by Hasbro design?)

jute_twine@yahoo.com
03-15-2017, 06:12 PM
I don't think it is only IDW that is doing it after all Habro has link all their books and toys in a way

jimsnow70@aol.com
03-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Just bring back the Cobra series, that was the best storyline IDW had out of the bunch.

krob73@yahoo.com
03-17-2017, 02:13 PM
So, we know know that Salvo is Samoan. If the cover is any indication, her first mission will be a fish out of water type story.

3 issues in, and the writing has been pretty good, but the art has been awful. I would really like him to move on from the Dire Wraith story, it feels allot like Secret Invasion from Marvel. It feels like we kinda know where this is headed. I am hopeful for the Crystal Ball and Dreadnoks story, as Zartan left them in the Australian outback, and this could bring resolution to that lingering plot thread. Time will tell.

So far I'd give it a C+.

kelty11@verizon.net
03-20-2017, 09:52 AM
I agree. No real problems with the writing, but the art is just terrible. The on MASK, on the other hand, is great.

I loved all the cameos in the MASK Annual.

krob73@yahoo.com
05-05-2017, 11:15 AM
OK, the issue in question is out . . . UGH!

This is the last issue I'm buying of this series. I usually like to give a new title 10 issue before I decide, but I can't take anymore. The art is abysmal, the writing has gotten steadily worse since the first issue, and the story is just bad. I know the writer is going for a Sunbow style of Joe, but when you put Polly in a ridiculous bubble scuba helmet and have her underwater (like she can swim) fighting a fatal fluffy . . .you've jumped the shark.

This series is so far from the previous IDW runs, that it CAN'T be considered part of the main IDW-verse. It feels like a bad Power Rangers episode. . . and where did Stretcher come from?! To this point, he hasn't been introduced in the IDW comics . . . and why isn't he a girl too?!

I hate to seem like the typical internet hater, but this is really bad. I really liked IDW's Joe, and I really wanted this shared universe thing to work. It just doesn't. I'm a G.I. Joe Comics guy. I liked the cartoon for bringing a voice to my Joes, but the stories got sillier as they made more cartoons. Maybe G.I. Joe Sunbow folks like it, but this series is has gotten their last $5 from me. I am curious on how the Sunbow fans feel about this series through 5 issues.

krob73@yahoo.com
05-05-2017, 12:08 PM
By the way IDW, Grand Slam is dead. He died in G.I. Joe Origins # 7 in 2009!

rjhiii@sover.net
05-05-2017, 12:47 PM
That's what you get when the author "crowd sources" their info because no one has a definitive continuity...

"Aubrey Sitterson‎ to G.I. Joe Discussion
December 1, 2016

shadow.z6@hotmail.com
05-05-2017, 02:19 PM
No seriously Slavo now a female so now its Danielle K. Hasle:p

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
05-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Sure, this is for all those "alternative GI Joe" fans. Do you think they'll make Covergirl a male character soon? Perhaps this is the dreadful "reimagined" type of Joe Hasbro wants. No sir!

krob73@yahoo.com
05-10-2017, 08:34 AM
The latest What's On Joe Mind podcast has an interview with the writer. It confirms all that I was afraid of. Not only is he moving away from the established IDW G.I. Joe, but Hasbro is backing this direction. God forbid, we get figures based on this run.

The odd thing is that he (Aubry Sitterson) said he read the entire IDW G.I. Joe comics in preparation for the series. Yet the very first thing he writes includes a dead character (Grand Slam). They also go on to talk about some internet dust-up between him and fans, that there was not continuity bible for IDW. Sorry, but I don't need a continuity bible to remind me that I read (within the last 6 months) a character died. I'm not beating him up, just emphasizing that his run has nothing to with the prior comics. His interpretations and stories will center more on the things I don't like in 'Joe. It's just not for me.

The other interesting thing I got from the interview, was that he felt like this new direction was to draw in new readers, and a new audience. While I am happy Hasbro is concerned about getting new fans for the brand, I just don't see it happening. After 4 months, sales have dropped below ARAH, and continue to fall. ( http://www.comicbookpage.com/MayoReport/TopComics.php?Year=2017&Month=04 )

If the 1st major attempt at a Hasbro shared universe fails, does the G.I. Joe comic disappear as well?

rjhiii@sover.net
05-10-2017, 11:13 AM
So the dust up occurred on the GI Joe Discussion page on Facebook. Where the writer basically asked the fans to give them all the information they remembered about the IDW run of GI Joe- basically he was looking for the cliff notes version to get started. That is what created the ruckus. I also assume by "read" he meant "skimmed through" which would allow him to miss important details such as Grand Slams death. I admit, I haven't read the new comic or the cross over stuff, not because I don't want to, or am not interested, but I can't get past the horrible artwork and lack of detail. The Revolution (Awe Yeah) series was worse than this, it looked like it was drawn by a third grader...

rjhiii@sover.net
05-10-2017, 11:15 AM
http://comicsalliance.com/files/2016/09/Revolution02_cvrRI_c.jpg?w=630&h=955&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89
http://comicsalliance.com/files/2016/12/Rev03.jpg?w=630&h=956&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89
https://10deb7fbfece20ff53da-95da5b03499e7e5b086c55c243f676a1.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/b43183ad29711fe9a963a5101ffa1b2f_xl.jpg
http://news.hisstank.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/01/AwYeahRev3-MOCK.jpg

For those of you that thought I was kidding about the third grader...

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
05-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Those covers are just insulting.

rjhiii@sover.net
05-10-2017, 06:26 PM
You think? I wasn't kidding this just completely turned me off from the shared Universe completely.

jamieandvicki@gmail.com
05-10-2017, 07:08 PM
So hasbro hires someone to tell them if your characters 'evoke' memories for millennias (however you spell it) they will embrace Joe!? So make 'em look like Dexter's Labratory and boom! Instant sales? Com' on that absurd and it doesn't work and drive the true fans away.

boudro72@yahoo.com
05-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Those covers are really bad.........are those the shop books or are they the "special edition" covers? How is the artwork inside compare to the covers?

rjhiii@sover.net
05-11-2017, 09:56 AM
There are some good covers (Transformers and MASK look okay), and some meh (like the ones doing the IDW verse GI Joe that has this version of Salvo on it), and then there are these where all the lines interact the most I think. I assume the cover matches the art inside as the cover artists usually work on the book itself also. That has why I haven't invested myself into any of the Shared Universe. If the art is total garbage, I just can't get into it...

robertmsmith65@yahoo.com
05-11-2017, 11:06 AM
agree total collected issues 1-3 for gijoe mask and could not get into them

kelty11@verizon.net
05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
The art & covers for the new series is terrible. MASK is much better, but the stories are very long-winded and really don't seem to be leading anywhere.

New Joe stories would be much better off with Marvel (the whole line stinks, but the Star Wars books are great [except for Poe Dameron, a useless series about a forgettable character]).