PDA

View Full Version : (Unofficial) Change Salvo Poll

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
08-18-2016, 10:28 PM
I've seen everybody critiquing the FSS Salvo figure, particularly the build of the character. He seems slimmer than he should be.

The other critique I see most is the style of the lettering on his shirt.

How many people are interested in Salvo having a bigger build, or changing the style of the lettering on his shirt, or both?

steve.2477@hotmail.com
08-18-2016, 10:46 PM
Yes. He needs to be bigger. Use the 2015 Tiger Force Big Brawler body. That would work perfectly.

csi_kincaid@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 12:17 AM
The Brawler/Bazooka/Bench Press body would be ideal

steve.2477@hotmail.com
08-19-2016, 03:31 AM
Salvo should look more like this.
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss267/steve2477/Randon%20Pics/Salvo_zps385gnjte.jpg (http://s582.photobucket.com/user/steve2477/media/Randon%20Pics/Salvo_zps385gnjte.jpg.html)

c.j.lloyd1@juno.com
08-19-2016, 03:34 AM
Yes, Salvo needs to look like Salvo. He's supposed to be a bulky figure. The parts choices here make no sense at all. I'm seriously considering not subbing this time around due to lackluster parts choices. This reveal is an epic fail. There are literally better choices available by going the custom route. That way Salvo looks correct, Ambush doesn't have a giraffe neck, etc. So disappointed in this series of reveals!

jrgrfg@aol.com
08-19-2016, 07:20 AM
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss267/steve2477/Randon%20Pics/Salvo_zps385gnjte.jpg (http://s582.photobucket.com/user/steve2477/media/Randon%20Pics/Salvo_zps385gnjte.jpg.html)

Agree! I always thought of him like a linebacker, not necessarily a tall guy, but definitely a thicker build.

Can you guys modify the poll choices.? A & B are not complementary, so C, choosing (both) does not make sense.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-19-2016, 07:52 AM
I already subbed- the Club has my money and I have no regrets for signing up quickly. That said, For those that really, really love this character and the fact he was in the last year I actually collected ( I don't remember actually liking him enough to buy him then) he should be more accurate or "improved" upon from the original. For someone that just wants "the character represented" this version would work for me, but to those that are fans of the character obviously it will not. As for the shirt text- it is photo shop text font- Try "Bradley Hand ITC", "Chiller", "Segoe Print", "Segoe Script", "Tempus Sans ITC" or "Viner Hand ITC (probably the closests)"for fonts. They are standard True Type Fonts

jrgrfg@aol.com
08-19-2016, 09:26 AM
I think I like the Bradley font. Regardless of the final figure, I already sub and quite honestly seeing this figure would not have made a difference to me. They had me at Raptor. Really looking forward to Steel Raven.

kaljzl0824@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 09:31 AM
The Tiger Force Brawler torso and arms would be perfect here. The legs are fine I believe. And change up that font. These are simple changes that would make a world of difference.

jagermonster72@sky.com
08-19-2016, 09:43 AM
my biggest problem with the build is the bloody awful legs !!!!! they don't even look close to what should be there , the retaliation roadblock/leatherneck legs are the most obvious choice , even though I will probably sub because i'm a completist , I will make my own custom figure and hide this one at the back of a very dark cupboard.

fostereben@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 10:15 AM
i always get the FSS subscriptions and sure there are figures i don't like but this salvo is hands down one of the worst modern updates.

pyro671402@comcast.net
08-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Bradley, Chiller, or either Segoe font would be preferred.

gk11973@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 11:28 AM
He is definitely a very disappointing figure, there has been a lot of negative talk about him all over social media. I would guess that perhaps the parts that would be required to make him better were not available and this was the result. I really think the best option at this point, would be to drop him from FSS5, and take time to improve him. He could be used as next years membership figure, or maybe just saved for FSS6. In the meantime, the current 13th figure could take his place in FSS5 and a new 13th figure would just need to be decided on. I don't know what all goes into figure selection between the club and Hasbro, but that seems like the best thing to do in my opinion. And if anyone who already subscribed wants to cancel over this one figure change, then let them.

krob73@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 11:57 AM
With every FSS there's been some good, bad, and meh. So far, I see Charbroil, Flagg, Ambush are the good; Viper, Darklon, Raptor and Gaucho are the meh; and Salvo is the bad. There's not much to like here, the colors of the legs are awful and they don't match the poportions of the torso. I know some have said he should be beefier, but then what's the difference in Salvo, Big Brawler, Backblast, and Red Dog. . . I'm OK with the figure size, I would like to see different legs with different colors.

skoor.cr@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 12:18 PM
I must admit SALVO was one of the reasons I subscribed so fast but after seeing him I'm not sure I made a good decision. But if you change the torso to something beefier i would certainly be much happier. I see people have recommended the torso from the 25th BAZOOKA, RED DOG, TF BRAWLER. But I would be happy with a torso from the poc RECONDO /BULL (TAURUS )from the slaugter's marauders set. It's different from BAZOOKA, RED DOG, and BRAWLER. Heck even the ultimate ROADBLOCK, 50TH BAZOOKA torso is better than what I'm seeing in this picture

rjhiii@sover.net
08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
He is definitely a very disappointing figure, there has been a lot of negative talk about him all over social media. I would guess that perhaps the parts that would be required to make him better were not available and this was the result. I really think the best option at this point, would be to drop him from FSS5, and take time to improve him. He could be used as next years membership figure, or maybe just saved for FSS6. In the meantime, the current 13th figure could take his place in FSS5 and a new 13th figure would just need to be decided on. I don't know what all goes into figure selection between the club and Hasbro, but that seems like the best thing to do in my opinion. And if anyone who already subscribed wants to cancel over this one figure change, then let them.

I already subbed- I won't cancel I sub to keep the Club FSS going and to get figures that I otherwise would not get from Hasbro at retail. Again, my goal is to give my niece and nephew all the characters I had as a kid plus some more... I support the Club's choice if they drop and exchange figures, rebuild to the larger body, or if they keep as is, but given the love some have for this character (again not one of my favorites) if a change could be made it probably would be for the best for the fans and Club in the end.

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Dont think its possible to cancel is it?

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-19-2016, 01:07 PM
I won't sub or unsub because of this figure. I find it alarming that everyone has such strong opinions about this figure that I literally could not care less about.

NS550@aol.com
08-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I won't sub or unsub because of this figure. I find it alarming that everyone has such strong opinions about this figure that I literally could not care less about.

I think this is part of the success of the FSS, they not only include international figures but also take figures from across GI Joe's various time periods and not everyone is going to connect with every generation of figures but for the ones who were buying in the late 80s and early 90s salvo has been a very much anticipated figure and I for one would not downplay the impact a particular character has played on anyone's life. Personally I would not sub or unsub based solely on one figure however this was one of the figures in my "Must have" column and if it doesn't get retooled it will definitely be put in the "going up on ebay" column, and if enough figures end up there for me then it's just not economical to risk a full subscription for that.
I'm a bit iffy about Gaucho as well, considering how recent the Gung-Ho figure was released I honestly thought his figure would make an effort to differentiate itself from that one.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 01:53 PM
I agree, if they can't fix him, they should pull him and offer him next year. He's too sought after, and we've waited this long for him, so we'd rather wait another year, knowing he was coming, than get an unauthentic offering. I hope the club can fix this.

xerofall@hotmail.com
08-19-2016, 02:00 PM
If anything, this will force me to make my own and just keep the FSS version carded. I, for one, am happy they're making Joes and putting them on vintage style cards.

axonrey@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 02:25 PM
I think this is part of the success of the FSS, they not only include international figures but also take figures from across GI Joe's various time periods and not everyone is going to connect with every generation of figures but for the ones who were buying in the late 80s and early 90s salvo has been a very much anticipated figure and I for one would not downplay the impact a particular character has played on anyone's life. Personally I would not sub or unsub based solely on one figure however this was one of the figures in my "Must have" column and if it doesn't get retooled it will definitely be put in the "going up on ebay" column, and if enough figures end up there for me then it's just not economical to risk a full subscription for that.
I'm a bit iffy about Gaucho as well, considering how recent the Gung-Ho figure was released I honestly thought his figure would make an effort to differentiate itself from that one.

I think Sygil is getting at this, as well, but it's not that this figure doesn't appeal to me. Gaucho doesn't, BC Viper doesn't, the last FSS TF figures and Jammer didn't- they didn't/won't stop me from subbing. It's that this figure in name very much appeals to me, and this in no way represents what I would expect. It's not that it could be better, like Bullhorn, for instance. To me, this is a comprehensive failure, made worse by the fact they I personally can't rationalize how the Club would think this was an acceptable offering/interpretation. That may be extreme to some, but it's how I feel, and it's what makes this jeopardize my desire to sub. And think this sentiment is shared by a lot of members.

pyro671402@comcast.net
08-19-2016, 02:40 PM
I think Sygil is getting at this, as well, but it's not that this figure doesn't appeal to me. Gaucho doesn't, BC Viper doesn't, the last FSS TF figures and Jammer didn't- they didn't/won't stop me from subbing. It's that this figure in name very much appeals to me, and this in no way represents what I would expect. It's not that it could be better, like Bullhorn, for instance. To me, this is a comprehensive failure, made worse by the fact they I personally can't rationalize how the Club would think this was an acceptable offering/interpretation. That may be extreme to some, but it's how I feel, and it's what makes this jeopardize my desire to sub. And think this sentiment is shared by a lot of members.
I would agree with this. It sums up my feelings.

jimsnow70@aol.com
08-19-2016, 03:08 PM

This all day. Or at the very least use the TF Big Brawler body.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-19-2016, 04:11 PM
An idea to save SALVO for the die hard Salvo fans. Seems to me the scoop build is almost easy enough to make light foot. Drop Salvo, replace with Lightfoot and move Salvo to a future release? Or would to many complain because Lightfoot's helmet isn't right?

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Lightfoot is my 2nd favorite joe that helmet would definitely not work for me at least... It really only works for scoop bc its identical, it needs to be removable. I feel as strongly about figures like bullhorn and ambush... as you guys do salvo. Salvo is a pretty big deal to me as well and i agree the scrawny body is inexcusable, but, if anyone remembers me going off on bullhorn, this is about how i felt... And how i feel about that head on ambush. Im saving my money until i at least see the salvo issue touched on by the club, but its in my bank waiting to be spent, so hopefully something happens with all this up roar...

c.j.lloyd1@juno.com
08-19-2016, 04:46 PM
If they can't change Salvo there is no doubt in my mind this will affect Sub Numbers. I was on the fence waiting for a home run reveal and this one knocked me off the fence landing on the "no way" side. I've subbed all 4 times up until now but the Club needs to want our money. We can't just give up our money for mediocre product simply because it's our only outlet. Salvo is a big swing vote here. Will they hear the fans and get this right or lose subscribers?

rjhiii@sover.net
08-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Lightfoot is my 2nd favorite joe that helmet would definitely not work for me at least... It really only works for scoop bc its identical, it needs to be removable. I feel as strongly about figures like bullhorn and ambush... as you guys do salvo. Salvo is a pretty big deal to me as well and i agree the scrawny body is inexcusable, but, if anyone remembers me going off on bullhorn, this is about how i felt... And how i feel about that head on ambush. Im saving my money until i at least see the salvo issue touched on by the club, but its in my bank waiting to be spent, so hopefully something happens with all this up roar...

Oh I am not a Salvo "Fan", the Club's rendition works for me, but those that love him cannot and they know this is their only chance for him in a ME figure.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 06:08 PM
This poll isn't really made correctly. Technically, there should be an option for people who like him exactly the way he is, but judging from the comments in the other thread not many people would use it. From the results we have, it seems like the biggest issue is the size. I don't know why Salvo has literally the skinniest male arms in the modern line instead of one of the bigger muscular bodies.

kaljzl0824@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Has the Club said anything yet on all the Salvo negativity?

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
08-19-2016, 07:13 PM
My grandmother got salvo for me when I was little, so there's sentimental value, but I've also always liked the figure. The dtc version was terrible, and this one isn't much better. He needs to be buffer, have different legs with ammo all over it, his mine launcher and 5 missile launcher. Skinny girlie arms? Tiny non muscular chest? Woosy legs? Love the other fss figures for the most part, but this is pretty much the worst I've seen. If they don't change this figure, this will be the love and monsters of gi joe.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
08-19-2016, 07:55 PM
I think we need to let go of the ammo belts on the legs and the vintage accessories. I know they were a pretty big part of the original, but it is probably too hard to do those things now and if we ask for too much we might get nothing but the figure they already showed. You can always change weapons or add some ammo belts yourself later. Let's focus our feedback to the club on changing to a bigger body (like Retaliation Roadblock or ROC Benchpress) and maybe they can get that much done at this point.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-19-2016, 08:12 PM
The casters will make the weapons, so don't worry about them

steve.2477@hotmail.com
08-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Forget the weapons and the bullets on the legs. They don't work with this modern version's accessories. We just need the build to be bigger. Just use the same recipe as 2015 Tiger Force Big Brawler with 25th Serpentor's head and everything would be good I think.

NS550@aol.com
08-19-2016, 08:28 PM
I think we need to let go of the ammo belts on the legs and the vintage accessories. I know they were a pretty big part of the original, but it is probably too hard to do those things now and if we ask for too much we might get nothing but the figure they already showed. You can always change weapons or add some ammo belts yourself later. Let's focus our feedback to the club on changing to a bigger body (like Retaliation Roadblock or ROC Benchpress) and maybe they can get that much done at this point.

The accessories I agree about, I'm not so worried with those but I do believe it would be nicer with the original missile launcher. If the figure does ship with the accessories shown but with a bigger body sculpt I would love it.

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
08-20-2016, 08:35 AM
The club can do this, theyve listened to us before. Weren't they originally going to do char broil without a removable helmet?

rjhiii@sover.net
08-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Hasbro is using both the "Big Body" tooling for their November releases. Club might not have access to the bigger tooling

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
08-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Hasbro is using both the "Big Body" tooling for their November releases. Club might not have access to the bigger tooling

I have heard this defense several times and I doubt that is the only reason. If there was an explaination that simple why wouldnt the club have said something and put the blame on Hasbro as soon as the negative comments started rolling in Thursday?
Furthermore there are several other parts being used by Hasbro and the Club this year. Darklon and Snake eyes share a torso as do Ambush and Falcon to name a few, so why isn't the Ret. Roadblock torso available? Or the Bazooka/Benchpress/Big Brawler torso? That would be a good substitute (better than this one) and isn't being used at all by Hasbro.
Obviously club members are just making guesses at this point, and hopefully more information comes out soon, but if it is a matter of Hasbro tieing up the mold, then just wait until it is available. I think we could accept a delay if that was the reason.

NS550@aol.com
08-20-2016, 05:52 PM

I believe someone addressed this possibility before and it didn't make sense as the club is using molds for other characters that are also being released in the upcoming Hasbro lines.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-20-2016, 09:53 PM
The issue with Xamot was that the tooling almost wasn't available which is why they held off on announcing the details. So the mold availability could be an issue

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-20-2016, 11:30 PM
If we give up on the weapons we're getting a guy named Salvo who has a weapon that shoots... one round.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
08-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Everyone talking about the figure build is suggesting different parts we would like to see (either Ret. Roadblock body or Bazooka/Big Brawler seem to be the most popular), but with everyone complaining about the weapon I haven't seem any helpful suggestions for a replacement. Besides the previously mentioned Blast-o-matic-5000 (TM) weapon from the Retaliation line, what available modern era weapon do you think is a better alternative to this rocket launcher?

axonrey@gmail.com
08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
I think everyone is focused on getting that buck fixed. The missile launcher is a small detail by comparison. We can't nitpick every detail and expect satisfaction.

kwo_bubba@hotmail.com
08-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Not worried about the accessories but they need to fix the figure.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-21-2016, 04:38 PM
What would be so bad about the leg-mounted missile launchers from MetalHead (2015 IG con set)?

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
08-21-2016, 05:25 PM
What would be so bad about the leg-mounted missile launchers from MetalHead (2015 IG con set)?

2015 Con Metal Head didn't have Leg Launchers. He had a pair of Quad Missile Launchers from one of the POC Dukes (http://www.yojoe.com/action/11/duke43.shtml)off his back Pack.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Shoulder-mounted makes it even better for the figure.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-21-2016, 05:30 PM
There's your "salvo" of missiles right there. http://news.hisstank.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2015/03/JoeCon-2015-Iron-Grenadiers-Metal-Head-HissTank.jpg

axonrey@gmail.com
08-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Oh, dope. I've been sitting on a set of those. Thanks for the suggestion fellas.

jimsnow70@aol.com
08-21-2016, 11:35 PM
C'mon club, just give us a proper Salvo...

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg499/jimsnow70/NJCC%20Salvo_zpss43uiemv.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/jimsnow70/media/NJCC%20Salvo_zpss43uiemv.jpg.html)

steve.2477@hotmail.com
08-22-2016, 01:32 AM
No. Salvo should look more like this.

charles.phillips@penske.com
08-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Personally I think the POC Recondo with different lower arms would be perfect. I always saw Salvo as muscular but not super tall. Like he needs a stout base to fire his salvos. Although it might be harder to put the Right of Might on that torso, I would think it would be available since it' not currently being used.

magick1313@gmail.com
08-22-2016, 11:51 AM
If the parts needed to make him bigger are not available, would it be possible to substitute another character in his place instead and we get Salvo in a later FSS or Con Set when the parts are available?

firechief420@gmail.com
08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Salvo should have larger arms and the mold for those legs needs to be destroyed.

jimsnow70@aol.com
08-22-2016, 02:49 PM
No. Salvo should look more like this.

Yup, that's the one. Put Leatherneck's forearms and hands on and we got ourselves a winner.

pyro671402@comcast.net
08-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Per the GI Joe Collector's Club on Facebook: "Hi guys. We hear you and are working on another approach to the SALVO build. Hang tight"