PDA

View Full Version : Convention 2017 Theme thoughts?

kelty11@verizon.net
08-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Let's start speculating about the theme of the 2017 convention based on the newly reveal logo.

I've read on other sites that some fans think it might be a shattered glass set because of the prominence of the Cobra and AT logos. I certainly hope this isn't the case as we only have 2 more years to get characters from the remaining special teams.

I still think it might be Star Brigade or DEF based on the colors of the 2017 logo. Maybe DEF as the colors remind me of the Shark 9000.

Thoughts? Opinions?

csi_kincaid@yahoo.com
08-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Most of my speculation and indeed my hopes are DEF vs. Headhunters. My other thought and hope is Battle Force 2000 (an existing 6 man team, no need to worry about off hand add on) vs Cobra La (King Golobulus, an updated Nemesis Enforcer, "Scientist" Cobra Commander [pre mutation], 4x Royal Guard, 2x Cobra La pilot.) But these are just hopes.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-14-2016, 06:27 PM
The red certainly could denote DEF.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Ive been praying for BattleForce 2000 for several years. I'd also be okay with a "Before he was Snake Eyes", Stalker, Tommy, Ramone Escobedo, Wade Collins, and Dick Saperstein Platoon set, (I still can't believe that didn't happen for the 50th Anniversary.) For the bad guys, I'd love to see updated versions of Red Shadows, with a modern take on Black Major and Baron Iron Blood, but I would settle for Cobra-La.

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
08-14-2016, 07:26 PM
I'd love def vs head hunters, though I have parts on the way to make custom head man and other head hunter figures. Battle force 2000 is always welcome as well. Save for onscure sets that I wouldn't know anything about (maybe except for a red shadows or an adventure team set) I can't think of much else that hasn't been done... Maybe star brigade or battle corps?

kelty11@verizon.net
08-15-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm betting DEF vs. Headhunters. I took a look through yojoe and I hate to say it but there aren't many ME bodies/parts that could be utilized for a Star Brigade set. A significant portion would have to be retooled.

crj9driver@gmail.com
08-15-2016, 10:28 PM
Id love to see a DEF vs Headhunter set. So many possibilities there.

NS550@aol.com
08-16-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm with everyone on the DEF vs Headhunter set, I would love to see modern era headhunters, if it does go this way I really would like to see a few figures in the DEF set, Mace who only has the 1 version, Not technically a DEF member but Crosshairs for the sniper, and either Longarm or Lightfoot for bomb disposal.

As a second option I think Star Brigade or Battleforce 2000 are great sets to tie in to joint club releases with the Transformers CC.

Sorry if this is a redundant post, I made a similar one in another thread but wanted to put my 2 cents in here since it is directly asking about the joecon ideas.

troysheets2001@yahoo.com
08-16-2016, 08:34 PM
I love this idea and if they go with lightfoot (PLEASE!!!!) It would be awesome to see him in colors similar to his Night Force color scheme.

steve.2477@hotmail.com
08-17-2016, 02:14 PM
I would like to see Battleforce 2000 in 2017. 1987 have a huge gap with a lot of characters that need to be made. You could add in other Joe vehicle drivers from various years as part of the team. Similar to how Freefall, Cloudburst and Skymate were part of Sky Patrol in the 2016 Joe Con comic. I could see a Cobra/Destro team up of drivers to take on the Joe drivers. Which might work.

Battleforce 2000 Vs Cobra/Destro Alliance- Dodger, Blaster, Maverick, Blocker, Avalanche, Knockdown, Dee Jay, Overlord, Nullifier, Ferrets x3, Track Vipers x3 = 15
2 pack - Backstop & Super Trooper
3 pack - Wild Boars
figure & vehicle - Worms & Maggot(Ret Hiss Tank)
Mini vehicle - Razor Back (Snowcat)
Large Vehicle & figure - Hot Seat & Raider(Ret Tread Ripper)

Or a DEF vs Headhunters set, but instead of version 2 releases of Shockwave, Cutter and Mutt(they still could be included in the comic story though), use Joes that can fit into DEF. Just so slots ain't wasted on re dos of figures we have already. Do the same with attendee figures as well. With a little help from Cobra for Headman as well.

DEF Vs Headhunters - Bulletproof, Longarm, Mace, Lightfoot, Tracker, Long Range, Headman, Gristle, Overkill, Headhunters X3, Headhunter Stormtroopers X3 = 15
2 pack - Hardball & Stretcher
3 pack - Flak Vipers
figure & vehicle - Skidmark & Desert Fox(Awe Striker)
Mini vehicle - Moccasin
Large Vehicle & figure - Vapor & Cobra Buzzard(Eaglehawk)

kelty11@verizon.net
08-18-2016, 09:16 AM
This would be an awesome set. BF2000 Vs. Iron Grenadiers would be the third time the IG's have been featured in a convention set.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
08-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Third in the ME form though the IG's were the entire box set in 2005. So it all depends on how one looks at it.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-18-2016, 09:36 AM
As much as I love both Tiger Force and Iron Grenadiers... they have been done to death. I think we need a moratorium on both for the remainder of this contract between FP and Hasbro simply because the club will have to start inventing new characters to add to them as so many have already been done and there are so many other sub-groups and individual Joes and Cobras that are yet to be done.

There are still plenty of go-to characters left to do in groups like Python Patrol, Dreadnoks and Slaughter's Marauders to do as FSS additions and con add-ons and, like you said, ENTIRE GROUPS left such as DEF and Battleforce 2000.

NS550@aol.com
08-18-2016, 04:12 PM
First, I do agree that IG and TF have seen enough runs even though IG is probably my favorite sub-team. Slaughters Marauders and Dreadnoks both had the 7 figure sets from BBTS and taking that into account I think you're right and they could round off the missing characters in FSS or otherwise.

DEF had a very successful con set in vintage format vs the headhunters, I think it could be a great modern set as well, BF2000 we haven't seen since i believe 1989 and if done properly could definitely be a nice con set, not sure who would go up against them but there are still great cobra options.

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
08-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Dont know if anyone mentioned this, but what about star brigade? Flordia is the home of kennedy space center... Makes sense no?

kelty11@verizon.net
08-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Star Brigade has been discussed in several other threads. Here is a proposed build-out for a SB set from one of my earlier postings:

Star Brigade Vs. Cobra Star Force (or something)
Con Set:
Payload (1987 or '89 colors)
Countdown (1989 Colors)
Duke
Robo-Joe
Effects
Space Shot
Cobra Commander
Cobra Blackstar (Astro-Viper Commander)
4 Astro-Vipers
3 Laser-Vipers

3-Pack: TARGAT
Paradrop: TARGAT Officer (gold Star Brigade Version)

Vehicle 2-pack Stellar Stiletto with Star Viper Vs. Starfighter with Sci-Fi
Cobra Invader with '94 Tecno-Viper
GI Joe Crusader would be the ultimate prize or Armor Bot ('04 Defense Mech) with General Hawk (either Star Brigade style or 1991 style).
Avenger Scout Shuttle with Gears
(Assuming any of these molds are still available)

There really aren't that many space-based vehicles or ones that could pass for space based. After reviewing the YoJoe archives I seriously doubt that the club could do Star Brigade as there are not many ME figures/parts that are space based. All of the Joes would have to be completely new sculpts. I think Hasbro should do something like this as a SDCC or BBTS set.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
08-20-2016, 12:25 PM
I'd be interested in a few Star Brigade figures, but yeah, I'm struggling to find very many modern 'astronaut' type parts. They would either all end up looking the same or not at all like space suits.
Ive been amazed by the creativity of the club a few other times using parts in ways I never would have thought of, so maybe it could happen.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Star Brigade isn't my favorite theme but it would be a shame if the club couldn't do this set for next year as the location is a no-brainer for a space-themed set. I know that DEF/ Headhunters is the best bet as this point but I'm concerned that it might push the boundaries of political correctness and overall taste to produce this for a convention held in Florida (no offense to members living in Florida).

I've been pushing SB and DEF in the forums, but these potential issues might torpedo these concepts for 2017. My next bet would be a Red Shadows/ SAF/ International Force Set based in the number of UK and S. American characters we've been getting.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Does anyone remember the classic comic Hama storyline about a single Star Viper? He was supposedly the first Star Viper and he appeared mostly helmetless in the story and went through all of the experimentation and rigors of Cobra Stiletto space travel to recovere a black box that Mindbender subsequently used as a bargaining chip to get the Joes on Serpentor's side in the Cobra civil war.

Would be REALLY COOL if he could be turned into a Star Viper leader figure with a removable helmet.

This is the storyline I'm talking about: http://www.yojoe.com/comics/joe/joe72.shtml

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
09-07-2016, 10:44 PM
I'm hoping for Star Brigade, and DEF or BF 2000 as a second and third choice. I don't want any more Iron Grenadiers, as they've been done over and over by the club. Last year's set was great, but enough's enough! If Star Brigade, they should have the basics like Payload and Countdown, and have unknowns like Space Shot and Effects. Cobras should get Blackstar, Astro Vipers, TARGATs, BAATs, and maybe some newer characters, or characters that haven't been Cobranauts like Laser Vipers. I'm still waiting on Hasbro or the Joe club to come out with a Cobra answer to the Defiant and/or Crusader, and the Armor Bot. A Stellar Stiletto and Invader against those??? Come on, Cobra's always been out gunned when it came to space battles.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-08-2016, 05:00 AM
Since the Convention Logo came out so fast after the previous 2016 con, is it possible it's a generic logo and will be replace with a different one closer to time? Because otherwise, all the club polls, and member desire / requests threads are a waste of time. Wouldn't it otherwise signify that the next convention set had already been chosen literally a week after the 2016 con ended? That's why I'm hoping it was a generic logo produced quickly just for something to market the 2017 con location

j_yoders@hotmail.com
09-08-2016, 07:22 AM
If it's Shattered Glass I just won't go. Simple way for the club to make that decision for me, I guess.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
I would hate for the con to be two subsets I could care less about in the last two years. I would hope for Battle Force 2000, or something connected to the 87 figures being their 30th Anniversary. While I would probably buy the DEF/HeadHunters my guess is it will be like the Zombie Initiative set unwanted in the end. I'll give it to my niece and nephew, but it probably will end up virtually unused, except maybe one figure or two. Zombie Initiative Outback is the only figure from that set that either my nephew or niece enjoy, and that is because my nephew likes Outback. Personally, (yes it is my era of collecting so it is biased) I would like to see the next two Con Sets and FSS have as many 87-90 figures to fill holes as possible. I wouldn't mind giving up half to the post 1990 and other stuff, but we need at least half of the 35-36 figures the Club gives us over the next two years to fill the gaps from 82-90, earlier years preferred. The rest can be Red Shadows, Venom v Valor, Extreme, AT, DEF/HeadHunters, Battle Corps, Star Brigade, Weird Aliens, Devil's Due, IDW, Shattered Glass etc.

These are the holes-
84- Tan Clutch ( I am okay if we don't get a true representation of him, for me the 30th/POC version with the Tan Vamp works)
85' LnF Tripwire (again I am okay without this one, but this is one the CLub would have done eventually. I actually like the International Tripwire from FunSkool, but again, I am looking to fill the holes in the ARAH main run 87-90)
86' MB Dial Tone (I am okay without a true representation of these god awful colors aps
86' MB MainFrame /Dataframe( Same as above, I am okay with the club update versus regular colors)
86' Motor Viper/ Nitro Viper (original Paint colors would be awesome, but otherwise this guy works for me as well.)
87' Crystal Ball
87' Fast Draw
87' Gung Ho Dress Blues ( I would love a Dress Uniform set of Joes, but we have Gung Ho in an ME so I am good)
87' Back Stop
87' Gyro Viper
87' WORMS
87' Sea Slug
87' Steam Roller
87' Rumbler
87' Payload
87' Hardtop
87 Cobra La Guard
87' Golobulus
87' Avalanche
87' Blocker
87' Blaster
87' Knockdown
87' Maverick
87' Dodger
87' Fridge
88' Astro Viper
88' Hydro Viper
88' Toxo Viper v1 ( I am okay with the V2 update being the only representation)
88' Blizzard
88' Budo ( I am okay with the Retaliation version being the modern update)
88' Hardball
88' Light Foot
88' Armadillo
88' Ghost Rider
88' Skidmark
88 Windmill
88' Wild Card
88' Ferret
88' Nullifier
88" Secto Viper
88 Sgt Slaughter V3 ( I am okay with the two we got)
88' TF Dusty ( I am okay with Felino version being Dusty)
88' TF Roablock (Okay without we have a few Roadblocks)
88' TF Tripwire (again I can live without since TW is already in the ME style a couple of times)
88' Retail Release TF Recondo (one of my favorite TF figures, but I am okay with the ME representation)
88' NF Sneak Peek (Okay with TF version and original line release being the only ME updates)
88' Super Trooper
89' Backblast
89' Countdown
89' Dee Jay
89' Downtown
89' Recoil
89' Rock n Roll v2 (hoping for a retail release, but if no I am okay with the three we have (Bench press is Rock n Roll also from the ROC line)
89' Stalker v2 (again I want, but I am okay with the modern representation of Stalker)
89' TARGAT
89' Hot Seat
89 Long Range
89' Dogfight
89' Payload (just one version would work prefer V1 but just one)
89' Windchill
89' Wild Boar
89' Track Viper
89' SM Footloose (okay with Club version already released being only update of Footloose)
89' SM Mutt and Junkyard (again okay with ME original V1 update being the only Mutt)
89' SM Sgt. Slaughter (again okay with the two Sgt Slaughter's already released)
89' PP Copperhead (okay as we have Copperhead represented)
89' NF LightFoot (Need at least one ME version and again, I would prefer V1 on him, but I'll take either...)
90' Cpt. Grid Iron
90' Rampart
90 Rapid Fire (although not in neon- POC style)
90' Stretcher
90' Sub Zero
90' Cold Front
90' Major Storm
90' Updraft
90 SF Dial Tone (again Okay with what we have)
90' SF Law v2 (okay with ME updates
90' SF' Tunnel Rat (really like him, but again we have two ME versions to get us by)
90' SF Dodger (an original BF 2000 would be preferred)
90' SF Falcon (maybe 91)
90' SF Stalker (maybe later saw him in the stores and didn't buy because I was getting "too old", but thought about it. He came with a huge backpack that made sounds or something)
90'' Decimator
90' Vapor
90' Overlord
90' SF Lampreys (we have an ME version of V1 in DoCI set)
90' SF Viper (have the original and PP versions good enough)
90' Tracker (although he may be 89' or 91 can't remember toward the tail end of my collecting)
90' Dusty and Sandstorm (may be 91 or 92 I liked him (except the Red hair and because of Sandstorm, but never picked him up as I was getting out of Joes then growing up)

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2016, 07:48 AM
If it was Shattered Glass for the 12" collectors and Battle Force 2000 vs for the 4" collector's it could work. I believe you would be correct in a diminished attendance if the Con was Shattered Glass.

NS550@aol.com
09-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Nice list! I personally can do without any of the repaints, especially the Sonic Fighters section, although those were the first versions of Falcon and Dial Tone I had, I prefer the originals much more. There was never a decent ME original falcon, the only one came with Nemesis Immortal and I ended up customizing my own. A lot of vehicle drivers on that list, some of which I would really only like to see with modern versions of their rides.

The main figures on that list I'm waiting for are Fast Draw, Backstop, Lightfoot (preferably the NF version.), Captain Gridiron, Stretcher, Sub Zero, and Overlord. That also depends on if BF2000 gets made.

PS. I don't know how many people are aware of it but Canada up until recently had their own GI Joe Convention and one year they actually released a modern Backstop as part of the con set.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
09-08-2016, 09:39 AM
We've actually had two Lampreys now if you count the Red helmet/life preserver one that came with the PoC mini-sub.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Windsor VT, very studious effort on that researched list of remaining 1987-1990. Some big names in there.
1. Rock n Roll (version 2)
2. Gung-Ho (dress blues)
3. Battle Force 2000
4. Blizzard
5. Fast Draw
6. Lightfoot
7. Hard Ball
8. Astro Viper
9. Hydro Viper
10. Did I mention Battle Force 2000
11. TARGAT
12. Overlord
13. Battle Force 2000

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2016, 10:46 AM
I think you might have forgot to mention Battle Force 2000...lol!
and with Battle Force 2000 you have almost half a set filling the big holes, so the other half can be used for other people's holes/preferences. That would be a win-win...

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
09-08-2016, 12:10 PM
FYI the SF Stalker wasn't sonic fighters, he was a talking battle commander, 1992. Tracker was 91.

I agree we need to have new versions of the 87-94 characters, either new versions of the guys that only had one or two versions like Recoil and Fast Draw, or ME versions. As long as the new figures are faithful to the original characters (unlike the ROC Repeater figure) I'll be good with them.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Repeater was done by the Club ;)

The ROC was a misnamed Heavy Duty...

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Not bad from memory... someone else on a FB post said Dusty w/ sandstorm was 91 also...

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
09-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Yeah, right. He was a bald black guy, not a heavy duty movie figure. Probably a misnamed roadblock.

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
09-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Yup, missed that, but it's true

kelty11@verizon.net
09-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks for summing up my thoughts!!:) Blizzard, Fast Draw, Hydro Viper, Targat, Overlord. WOW now that would be a great FSS.

I'd have to add Toxo-Viper ('88), Stalker ('89), Deep Six ('89), Laser Viper, Gen. Hawk ('91), Snow Serpent ('91).

rjhiii@sover.net
09-09-2016, 11:11 AM
91 is past the cut off...Bwahahahahahahahaha although some of my 90's might have been 91 ;)

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
10-13-2016, 08:32 PM
it would be the 4th time. We've already had 3 IG con sets. NO MORE!!!

viceroyhaako@hotmail.com
10-13-2016, 09:01 PM
I'd love a Star Brigade, DEF, or BF2000 set, with Headhunters, Cobranauts, or Red Shadows set. Maybe combine DEF and BF2000 vs Headhunters and Red Shadows? Have the 15 figure set be DEF/Headhunters/Red Shadows (please, no more army builders! one of each figure is enough!)

DEF:
Bulletproof, Shockwave (DEF version), Long Arm, Mace, Mutt and Junkyard (DEF version), and Law (DEF version, maybe throw Order in too)
Headhunters/Red Shadows:
Headman, Gristle, Red Baron, Black Major, Red Shadows, Red Torch, Headhunter, Headhunter Stormtrooper, and Muton (that Red Shadows scuba diver looking dude)

6 figure set BF2000!
2 figure set Dee Jay vs. Headhunter (alternate color, like the ones they did in the con set)

vehicles: Red Shadows vehicle, could be another HISS, a red STUN, or the big flying skull thingie
DEF vehicle, maybe a VAMP like the ECO Force one
BF 2000 vehicle (how about a base with all 6 parts of the original BF2000 future fortress, or one that could fit all 6 parts!)
Headhunters vehicle-a recolored Rage tank

Then the next year we could have Star Brigade with:
15 set:
Spaceshot, Payload (Defiant or Crusader version), Countdown, Effects, Gears, Armor Tech Robo Joe, and Roadblock
Cobras: Blackstar, Cobra Commander, Armor Tech BAAT, Armor Tech Destro, Astro Viper (2, one of each color scheme-red and green), TARGAT

3 figure set: Duke, Ozone, Armor Tech Rock N Roll
2 figure set: Armor Tech Heavy Duty, and an alternate Payload (based on the Star Brigade), OR alternate color of Countdown, OR Armor Tech Duke
Vehicles:
Invader with Techno Viper
2 pack of Stellar Stiletto/Starfigher with Star Viper and Sci Fi
Armor Bot with Hawk
new Cobra Space vehicle, a biggun, with VAPOR pilot

Parachute drop: gold TARGAT

And if Hasbro lets fun pub go another year or two, the following con could be a "let's do what we haven't done yet" set, and mix them all up, i.e.: TF Roadblock, Jinx, Tripwire, Recondo (based on the original version), Hit N Run, Blizzard, Psyche Out, and Tunnel Rat, UK exclusive Mutt and Spirit, SM Spirit (based on the 25th version, not the POC one), SM Mutt, Footloose, Slaughter, Python Patrol Copperhead (based on the original), Listen N Fun Tripwire, Monkeywrench, Motor Viper, SM Brazil Wet Suit, Crystal Ball, Marine Dress Gung Ho, all the 87 Drivers, and everybody from 88-94 that hasn't been done ME yet.

So many figures the club could do, so little time! I hope we get to see some of these over the next couple of years! Whether in FSS or the con sets, or even better, done correctly for retail!

rjhiii@sover.net
10-14-2016, 07:21 AM
You could even offer additional 3 packs at the con or in the store for the Army builders for those that want them. This has been suggested several times having 3 packs of FSS and Con army builders for sale as an add on in the Club store. Of course, this will all depend on how well the Cobra female troopers sell...

This should be the second set done and Star Brigade can come down the line if FunPub gets renewed again. Of course I wouldn't lead with Tiger Force and depending on how long FunPub's extension would be would determine if I wanted a "real" version of Motor Viper, Tan Clutch, Mission Brazil WetSuit (ROC version is real close), The Tiger Force holes, and a reissue of Monkeywrench (ROC 2 pk with Tunnel Rat is a pretty good update of V1) etc. If the extension is only one year, then I would rather see the focus "character driven" as well as unproduced update driven. So Clutch, Tripwire, Gung-Ho (v2), Rock n Roll v2, Stalker v2 would unfortunately all be pushed aside for figures like Crystal Ball, Recoil, Super Trooper, Fridge (dreaming I know), Fast Draw etc. That is just my opinion. If Fun Pub is to continue indefinitely or for at least 10 years- bring on all the ideas from Adventure Team, Extreme, Sgt Savage, ARAH, MARVEL, IDW, DDP, Sunbow, DIC, Valor vs Venom etc...

ATBotts78@gmail.com
10-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Steve, where the heck have you been for the last two months?!!? Windsor VT and I have been trying to unite all the BF2000 fan members on about three different thread!!! Make sure to vote on the BF vs Red Shadows Poll! And tell all your like-minded friends for God's Sake, lol.

rjhiii@sover.net
10-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Battle Force 2000 fills 7 holes for 87/88 which makes it a win-win. Highly requested- fills a major gap with almost half the set

bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net
11-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Since we're headed back to Disney World, I just hope the club doesn't try to put out another "Mickey Mouse" Cobra Commander. We've already had a modern era one and don't want it to waste an all too important slot. Now, if the club did a new carded version of Mouse, and had the actor there as a guest, to do autographs, that might be cool!

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanksgiving Week is upon us, which means we should know the theme of the 2017 Joe Con Box Set in less than 60 days according to the Admin post on November Updates Thread. Here's hoping for a set of figures that have yet to see modern era molds!

kelty11@verizon.net
11-21-2016, 10:57 AM
I just hope we receive something good in '17. We've made ourselves clear about what we want (BF2000, Cobra-La, DEF, Star Brigade, Red Shadows, Tanks) and what we don't (many of the same categories plus Mega Marines). Personally, I think the 2009-16 sets have been the best produced by the club. The weakest theme was the 2014 Zombie theme. That set would have been perfect if it concentrated less on Zombies and more on the US and foreign Eco Warriors that weren't included.

Here's hoping for great sets in 2017 and 2018.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-21-2016, 03:40 PM
I echo the above sentiment 100%! Good wording LKelty!

j_yoders@hotmail.com
11-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Really hoping for Dreadnoks as Cold Slither!

rjhiii@sover.net
11-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Here is hoping for a couple of great hole filling sets in the future and an announcement for continuing 2019 and beyond

steve.2477@hotmail.com
11-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I feel that Star Brigade isn't possible to make with the parts that Hasbro has produced so far. But Battleforce 2000, Red Shadows and DEF vs Headhunters can be done well.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Today begins the T minus 60 days (or sooner) until a January Slated 2017 Convention Set Theme Reveal by the Club!! Battle Force 2000? D.E.F? Red Shadows? Dreadnoks? Head Hunters? Something else? Something new? Ninja Force? The anticipation builds as time grows closer.

huntersabin@yahoo.com
11-28-2016, 07:24 PM
T -60... Here's to anything awesome!

boudro72@yahoo.com
11-29-2016, 08:23 AM
What year was the Headhunters set? Is that a possibility of seeing a ME release?

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-29-2016, 08:44 AM
The quickest answer to your question is that some members believe the red, white, and blue, 2017 Joe Con teaser image was a subtle hint at D.E.F. Being the Con Set for 2017. I'm still not sure how that idea was derived from that image, but at any rate, DEF talk began to dominate the forum for a while. With their natural enemy being the Head Hunters, the assumption was made that if the DEF guess was correct, the head hunters would also get the ME treatment. But again all speculation based on the color of the sign for 2017 Con from about six months ago.

rjhiii@sover.net
11-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Red white and blue could be an updated Stars and Stripes set?

http://www.lulu-berlu.com/upload/image/gijoe---1997---stars-and-stripes-forever-boxed-set-p-image-289470-grande.jpg

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Could be. But I would be pretty bummed out if it was. Too many modern era versions of most of those characters already. If it's not gap fillers 87-90, or 87-90 sub groups not already given modern era treatment, or Red Shadows, or LRRP Vietnam, I'm going to be pretty disappointed given all the forum discussion since the 2016 Con ended in reference to those topics.

NS550@aol.com
11-29-2016, 07:09 PM
I would rather have DEF than stars and stripes... :(

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
11-29-2016, 10:58 PM
What year was the Headhunters set? Is that a possibility of seeing a ME release?

The Headhunters convention set was 2008, I think. It was one of the last o-ring sets made before going totally to the modern era figures.

The quickest answer to your question is that some members believe the red, white, and blue, 2017 Joe Con teaser image was a subtle hint at D.E.F. Being the Con Set for 2017. I'm still not sure how that idea was derived from that image, but at any rate, DEF talk began to dominate the forum for a while. With their natural enemy being the Head Hunters, the assumption was made that if the DEF guess was correct, the head hunters would also get the ME treatment. But again all speculation based on the color of the sign for 2017 Con from about six months ago.

The convention logo is so plain, I'm not sure how people think it is much of a clue, and red,white, and blue, could be colors for anything. I think DEF vs. Headhunters has a good chance, because the Club has shown they like re-making vintage sub-teams for convention sets (and there aren't too many left) and they also don't mind re-making their own previous convention figures (Crimson Strike sets, multiple Iron Grenadier sets)

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
11-29-2016, 11:03 PM
Red white and blue could be an updated Stars and Stripes set?

http://www.lulu-berlu.com/upload/image/gijoe---1997---stars-and-stripes-forever-boxed-set-p-image-289470-grande.jpg

Ugh, that Stars and Stripes Forever set started as a good idea to release some old characters in their original molds, but ended up with horrible execution. I would also rather see some gaps in the vintage line up filled instead of more versions of these characters.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
11-30-2016, 06:16 AM
I agree with you. I know some people like the set but to me it doesn't exist.

kelty11@verizon.net
11-30-2016, 10:32 AM
I agree. A Stars & Stripes set would be interesting, but with only two left...? I don't think so.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
11-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Still hoping and praying for Battle Force 2000 vs anybody. And if it's DEF vs Headhunters I sincerely hope some "reinvention and practical tooling takes place for both sides of the set. Again not a big Ninja Force fanatic, but if it was made well, I wouldn't complain. But seriously Fun Pub, BATTLE FORCE 2000!!!!!! But I am not biased.

rjhiii@sover.net
12-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Battle Force 2000 is one I am hoping for as well...

j_yoders@hotmail.com
12-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Hoping for DEF vs. Headhunters, mentally preparing myself to be disappointed, too...

kelty11@verizon.net
12-01-2016, 10:14 AM
I think that Red, White, Blue could also indicate a Red Shadows/ SAF set. Afterall the British Union jack uses those colors as well.

rjhiii@sover.net
12-01-2016, 11:35 AM
That would be cool for some, but leave us 87-90 collectors out in the cold, and could be a way to finish off the Tiger Force European figures as well.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
12-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't buy. Thinking they AT LEAST would pick a U.S. mass market sub-group that originated in '80s or '90s since those seems to sell best. BF 2000 would be nice.

axonrey@gmail.com
12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Ideal set for me would be ninja force centric:

1. Dojo
2. Bushido
3. Banzai
4. Night Creeper
5. Zartan
6. Snake Eyes
7. Red Ninja (Dice)
8. Slash
9-15. Legends of the Arashikage

I guess you could even sub in Tiger Claw or Shadow Strike. Also, i haven't accounted for troop builders, and that no one but me would buy it.

troysheets2001@yahoo.com
12-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Kinda reminds me of the Dreadnok Air Assault color scheme too.

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/dreadnokairassault/

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
12-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Ideal set for me would be ninja force centric:

1. Dojo
2. Bushido
3. Banzai
4. Night Creeper
5. Zartan
6. Snake Eyes
7. Red Ninja (Dice)
8. Slash
9-15. Legends of the Arashikage

I guess you could even sub in Tiger Claw or Shadow Strike. Also, i haven't accounted for troop builders, and that no one but me would buy it.

Maybe we are the only two, but I'd like a Ninja Force set too. Maybe not the legends stuff but definitely the vintage inspired ninjas. Especially Dojo, Banzai, Bushido, and Snake Eyes (how many ME Snake Eyes have we had since 2007? 50? And none of them are based on Ninja Force Snake Eyes?)
As for troop builders, Night Creeper v2 could be in there. Maybe the cancelled Retaliation movie accurate Red Ninja. I've suggested before that a v1 Nightcreeper (maybe use white FSS Nightcreeper parts) would be cool in black/orange camo to go with Night Creeper Leader. But of course we still need a black/orange Night Creeper Leader.

rjhiii@sover.net
12-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Most people consider the Dollar General Blue Snake Eyes the Ninja Force one, the Black Storm Shadow the 92 update, and the Orange Storm Shadow T' Gin Zu.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
12-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I agree that agree that the Dollar General Snake-Eyes is almost a perfect version of the Marvel Snake-Eyes during the Ninja Force era.

axonrey@gmail.com
12-02-2016, 07:48 PM
The DG snake eyes is in no way the ninja force snake eyes. It's a representation of battle Corp snake eyes.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
12-02-2016, 11:10 PM
I agree that DG Storm Shadow was the Ninja Force one and the orange variant was actually T'Gin Zu, but DG Snake Eyes was based on 91 Snake Eyes (http://www.yojoe.com/action/91/snakeeyes4.shtml). Snake Eyes did appear in this uniform with Ninja Force in the comics at first, so that probably led to the confusion. I was referring to 93 Snake Eyes (http://www.yojoe.com/action/93/snakeeyes5.shtml) which was officially labeled "Ninja Force."

NS550@aol.com
12-03-2016, 08:13 AM
I agree about the ninja force snake eyes but the '91 snake eyes I actually really liked, the only thing I would have changed would be the color of his accessories, neon red swords and guns are never OK...

ATBotts78@gmail.com
12-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I was also wrong. I do remember the battle force one being used in the comics with the ninja Force Scarlett though. The ninja Force SE looks like version 3 without the eye glasses. With the exception of "Codename: Classified," from the LRRP, is Ninja Force SE the only version of Snake Eyes to actually show part of his face, (in particular his eyes?)

Whoops, there are two more SE with partial face...answered my own question. The 25th SE from the Arashikage in training two pack, and the POC v55, Arctic SE shows a lot of his face. Way more than Ninja Force SE.

kelty11@verizon.net
12-03-2016, 11:50 AM
I suppose we really won't have any real hints until we see the last page of the comic store version of the '16 Con Comic (hints were offered in last years). The Red, White, and Blue in the logo could be a hint or it could just be simply be the colors chosen for the logo.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
12-04-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm think at this point, I'm becoming more nervous than excited about the Convention Set Reveal. We've been posting thoughtful suggestions and honest opinions for basically six months now on nearly a daily basis about what we want and don't want. If it was all for nothing, I'll be devestated. Especially with only two definite years to go. The anxiety is killing me. I really hope it's a solid set, 87-90 gap filler of sub-teams, or something else vintage and well produced.

rjhiii@sover.net
12-04-2016, 10:41 AM
I have given up hope on this, too many collectors from different starting and ending points. Where the outlandish and garish figures of the early mid 90's, to me are forever garbage that should be never discussed, reminisced about, and certainly not resurrected in the ME style to others they are their definitive Joes. To them the Ninja Force was the coolest thing they had as kids, and was their experience with GI Joe. To others it is the Star Brigade, Mega Marines, Manimals, Valor vs Venom, European Action Force, etc. etc. There is just too broad of a base and too many figures to produce in two years time. I think our effort should be in planning how we get the extension to 2018, extended at least until 2022 the 40th Anniversary of ARAH, and preferably 2032 the 50th Anniversary.

kelty11@verizon.net
12-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I think the ARAH divide is similar to the the 1960's era and the AT. My personal experience with Joe was 1988/89-94. So I would love to see those characters in ME form (loved the 2014 and 2016 Con sets for 90's nostalgia). I watched the 1980s show in reruns and even at 7 thought it was better than the DIC series, but I never really had any 1982-87 toys. Of course, I had some 1983-87 figures but the only ones I ever bought or received as gifts were the 88-94 ones. Granted, I was not that interested in Ninja Force, Eco Warriors and Mega Marines.

But, I don't like Sgt. Savage, Extreme or some of the later Spy Troops/VvV toys.

rjhiii@sover.net
12-04-2016, 01:58 PM
I agree. and the things we don't like? Well others love those lines. I only had a few figures I bought from 88-91 because that is when I was growing out of them. Only picked up a few things, bought some of my friends stuff they outgrew (things I mostly didn't have myself when it came out). I always still went down the toy aisle, and mostly what caught my eye were abominations of the figures and characters to me. Whether it was Sonic Fighters (although the Stalker was awesome looking), Battle Corps, Ninja Force they just seemed to be getting brighter and more flashy paint schemes, and more and more Sci Fi and less military grounded in concept. Now you still have the 12" collectors (including AT), AT collector's that will buy 3 3/4" now those first sets and Joe Colton have been made, the ARAH 82-90 (my age group) ARAH 89-94, 97-98 (your age group), then 2002-2004, and 2005--2007 (VvV and JvC, Spytroops), Sgt Savage, GI Joe Extreme, even a few that collected Super Joes. that fell in between.

skoor.cr@gmail.com
12-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I guess I don't count I have been openly asking for NINJA FORCE/BATTLES, but I personally could do without another NIGHT CREEPER since we already have 3 different versions. My list
1. DOJO
2. BANZAI
3. BUSHIDO
4. ZARTAN
5. KAMAKURA v1
6. SHADOW STRIKE
7. SLASH
8. TIGER CLAW
9. BUDO v1
10. SOFT MASTER
11. METAL MASTER (IRON MASTER)
12. NF SNAKE EYES
13 NIGHT CREEPER LEADER (TIGER STYLE PANTS)
14.?
15. ?
I know that there are more from the comics but I don't know who they are, but you could use 2 of them for 14 and 15.

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
12-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Sorry skoorcard, I can't keep track of who posted what lately. I guess there are at least 3 of us. I don't really need any Night Creepers either, but I mention them because there are always troop builders in the con sets anyway (and you had trouble coming up with 15 figures to fill out the set).

I really want Dojo the most though, so if he can be in the FSS or something, I'd be okay without a whole Ninja convention set.

bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net
12-05-2016, 12:25 AM
I would want a version 1 red ninja; basically a repainted FSS Dice. Black Dragon Leader, Ninja & Trooper could also be considered.

axonrey@gmail.com
12-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Would anyone be down with a set that completes the original 13 (or 14) with more current tooling, a la SDCC Grunt and Steeler? Or would that just be a waste with all the other possibilities out there?

gjwermund@gmail.com
12-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Axonrey, I would be fine with that.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
12-13-2016, 04:19 PM
I don't hate it, but I'd rather have the LRRP squad that even predates the original 13 + shooter.

krob73@yahoo.com
12-14-2016, 08:32 AM
I would like Axonrey's idea. The 25th figures don't quite look right, next the the 30th and 50th. I would like to see Breaker, Short Fuse and and Zap; in then new tooling. I'd also like to throw in '83 joes as well: Torpedo (land BDU), Airborne, and Tripwire. Package them with the LRRP squad as a "Then and Now" set.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
12-14-2016, 09:50 AM
I like that idea very much. But I think you have to make a case for Rock n Roll to get the big 50th Muscle mold like Gung-Ho and Leatherneck, & Heavy Duty got considering he was also a heavy artillery carrying guy.

axonrey@gmail.com
12-14-2016, 03:47 PM
I sort of envision the team built in variations of that echo trooper from the vault. And an updated scarlett would be welcome.

axonrey@gmail.com
12-15-2016, 10:12 AM
It probably wouldn't be too hard to synthesize the LRRP and the OG 13. We have Grunt, Steeler, and Snake Eyes (50th/POC Version), and I also think the Stalker from the 30th line is acceptable as an update as well. So that leaves 9 of the original 13 that we need, omitting Shooter since she just had a figure released. So, that's 6 spots for LRRP. No Cobras or villians, though, but that wouldn't bother me.